Sunday, December 9, 2007

Dunlay's hash browns review


It's Sunday, the day some people go to church. Also known as the day I go to brunch. Dunlay's On The Square has a minimal brunch lineup that usually satisfies if you're looking for slightly fanciful omelets, fried egg sandwiches on marble rye, pancakes, or an Irish breakfast. Crucial to a truly successful brunch experience during the warmer months in Chicago, there is also outdoor seating available just a few steps from Logan Square facing the Boulevard.

You can't get a latte or a cappuccino at Dunlay's, but you can get a draft Guinness, a Bloody Mary, and ... breakfast potatoes. The potatoes don't come with every item on the brunch menu, but they should. Not quite hash brown perfection, but they're easily enjoyed by nearly every person that frequents this place. And today like most Sundays, that's a lot of people. Dunlay's was so busy when I arrived at 1:30pm that their service and quality were suffering. The sub-par service is not the point here, but I'll probably mention it a few more times... you're at Breakfist Potatoes. Focus, people. Let's talk starch.

As you can see from the photo above, these hash browns are baked and they're served in a nice portion that isn't too much. If you had to ship these potatoes they could fit in a box 3"x 3"x 2". Just enough to satisfy. The potatoes are creamy, and not "why did I eat all those?" creamy. Strong garlic and onion flavors that go well with what I'll assume is a mixture of cream cheese and sour cream?

Sometimes on a busy day like today the hash browns won't be cooked enough. This blows. Maybe these hash browns are born out of frozen hash browns and the Dunlay's cooks don't thaw them before baking the potatoes in the heat of brunch rush? I don't know and I don't care. If you like speculation and guessing listen to sports radio. The potatoes weren't fully ready for my plate or my gut. They were still edible, but they could be better. These hash b's are usually served warm to barely warm.

If you screw yourself over by not ordering them, but then realize your ordering faults while seeing them on your brunch-buddy's plate; don't touch your friend's potatoes. That's not cool. It's not their fault you lack foresight. Order your own - they will be at your table as soon as the help remembers to check on you, then relays your request through 5 other people.

Mass appeal: A-
Reliability: B-
Compared to other breakfist potatoes: B+
Side-order worthy? Yes

Breakfist recommended!

3 comments:

JFX said...

I wish I had the recipe

JFX said...

I wish I had the recipe, the best potatoes ever (on good days).

JFX said...

I wish I had the recipe